Thursday, February 23, 2012

Response to "Winter's Chill"

Lauren, nice story!  There was so much conflict in this story.  It seemed to show a glimpse into the marriage of these two characters, Mr. Smart and Clara Smart.  The marriage seems to have some tension in it that has been going on for some time.  Mr. Smart is a funeral home director who has to go collect bodies every now and then.  During this story, Mr. Smart gets a call to go collect a body in the mountains right after he comes across a text from his wife's phone.  The text says, "I love you too." Mr. Smart seems to be suspicious of Clara, but has to leave.  The story then switches to Clara later on that night as she receives a call that her husband died.

I really liked the tense moments in the argument.  I feel like you have a lot going for your story, because many people know that feeling of suspicion in a relationship.  Also, the fact that Mr. Smith has a sort of grim occupation and is several years older than Clara makes it believable that he would be insecure and constantly suspicious of his wife's activities.  I liked the way you described the way the two met: "At that point, or maybe it was the drink in him, he made it his ambition to make her his. After a few drinks, talking became easier for the awkward pair. Months went by, dates came and went, a proposal, and here they were." I liked the lack of romance in that. It almost seems like a weekend hookup that turned into a marriage.

I feel like though this story had very interesting conflict, there was a lot that it was missing.  One of the things was the characters' wants.  I do think that you have a lot to work with.  The conflict was so sticky and great, but it just never finished.  The main character flipped towards the end from Mr. Smith to Clara, which I think is fine and actually pretty cool.  However, Mr. Smith did not seem to ever establish what he wanted.  I think Clara was clear that she wanted to resolve the conflict.

No comments:

Post a Comment