"Losing Sincerity" is a story about this guy named Brad who is the supervisor of a hotel bar and restaurant. Brad is a younger guy, about twenty I think, who simply wants "to party, date, and experience college" like his fellow peers do. However, Brad has a responsibility that the others don't have and a bit of a lust for power. At some points Brad admits to "[loving] the sense of power" that came with his job. He tends to view other people as shallow, incompetent, and unfair in their criticisms of him. Despite the fact he enjoys belittling people and giving out orders, he has grown weary of this job. The first paragraph really establishes this. Brad seems to want a change, and to live a normal college life, but stays at his job. The night this story takes place, there is a huge party that will most likely spiral out of control.
I liked that this was a story about the hotel restaurant business. I generally like stories about restaurants, but this was especially cool because I've never heard of how the hotel business works. I think it's interesting the way he views the college students that are at the bar partying. He views them as stupid and a nuisance. However, the lifestyle they live is the lifestyle he wants. So he treats everyone as stupid, shuts the party down, etc. I'm not sure if this is a result of his feelings of jealousy and bitterness, or if he is so responsible that he does his job like a professional and does not give in to his jealousy.
I do think the story could use more conflict between Alyson and Brad. I liked the conflict of the huge party, but I felt like the relationships and hatred of Brad should be emphasized. I also think there could be more of a change in Brad. As a result of all the conflict with the strained relationships, Brad could be confronted with his egotism.
Great job on this, Taylor. I think with a little polishing this story will be just right.
No comments:
Post a Comment