This is a story about Luke, a boy with a dream. Working on the dairy farm with his father was not the life he wanted. He felt like there had to be more to his life. He wanted to make his own way. He felt that his calling, was to be a baseball star. His father took him out of the game, however. He did not approve of Luke's ambition. Luke was not one to give up however. He started saving money in his shoebox for Mississippi State. When he got there he found out he was no good and returned to his family. Turns out his father had a check and a plane ticket sitting on deck for him.
This story was really a home run. I liked the struggle between father and son. Family commitment and personal dreams. You have to go after your dreams. That's why I like Luke so much. He was never afraid to steal the base, even when he didn't get a signal from the coach. The end of the story was great too. I was expecting it to be a shutout with Luke getting what he wanted. But he failed, and realized that his position was in right field with his family's farm.
There were a few things I didn't like about it though. It mainly stemmed from the fact that it was such a quick story. I think the lack of depth in the character of Eric was a failed sacrifice bunt. I wanted to know more about him. You could show him cheering Luke on more, as opposed to his father. I also wanted to see the father's heartache after Luke left the home team of his family. That is a great conflict that you can work with more. I think it would be a strikeout if you dropped this story, but if you polish it up, I know it will be the most valuable story.
No comments:
Post a Comment