Tuesday, April 10, 2012
Response to "As Big as Light"
Robert, awesome story. This was about a guy named Dean trying to hold on to memories as an aging man. He writes in his diary and starts with this story. It is about this boy Adrian who is arguing with his father. His father has become a drunk because of his wife's debilitating health. Adrian decides to try and commit suicide, but Dean talks him down. At the end of the story, Adrian has become somewhat of a man.
This is a great idea. I like stories told from an elderly perspective. It's cool how you showed us Dean's past life in the way an old guy would tell a story. Dean already had a problem with forgetting and you added one part where he trailed off and had to remind himself what he was talking about. The trail off was actually great because it told me more about Adrian and emphasized the fact Dean is old and forgetful. I loved the writing in general. There were so many lines that I'm jealous of like, "perplexed, I turned and padded my way forward, feeling very much like a muffled, ominous metronome." I think you really have something going for you as far as that goes.
I didn't figure out that Adrian was trying to kill himself with the rope until way after the rope was mentioned. I'm not sure if that was your intention or not, but I originally thought that he had was vandalizing the house or something. I thought that the rope was holding something above the door and it was a way to get back at his father. Also, when Adrian was telling Dean about the lights on the house he mentions the more he would back up the bigger he would get. If he was backing up towards the light, he would actually get smaller.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment